Baked sweet potato crisps are a wonderful healthy alternative to shop bought snacks. Sweet potato is a great source of fibre, vitamins and minerals, including antioxidants that protect your body from free radicals.
This recipe uses Pink Himalayan Salt, extracted from the Khewra Salt Mine, located near the Himalayas. The Khewra Salt Mine is believed to have been formed millions of years ago from the evaporation of ancient bodies of water.
The salt is extracted by hand and minimally processed to yield an unrefined product that’s free of additives and thought to be much more natural than table salt.
It’s estimated that it may contain up to 84 different minerals and trace elements. In fact, it’s these very minerals, especially iron, that give it its characteristic pink colour.
This is our version of this versatile snack, that will work for any occasion whatever the weather – rain or shine. Great with an accompanying dip such as a salsa, humus or even 2 Fingers Chunky Creole Tartare Sauce – you really cannot go wrong!
1 Sweet Potato (approx 300g)
0.5 – 1 Tbsp Rapeseed Oil
1 – 1.5 Tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
1 – 1.5 Tsp Black Pepper (coarsely ground)
1 – 1.5Tsp Garlic Granules
1 – 1.5Tsp Sweet Smoked Paprika
1) Preheat the oven to 130°C
2) Slice your potato with a mandolin or with a sharp knife into thin slices.
3) Soak the potato slices in cold water for 10 minutes* (optional but helps crisp them up) Remove water and pat dry.
4) Place the potato slices in a bowl. Pour oil and sprinkle the salt, pepper and garlic granules over the potato slices and toss around.
5) Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Arrange the sweet potato slices on the tray, making sure that they’re not layered or touching each other.
6) Bake in the oven for 45-60 minutes until they’ve curled up and crispy. Flip them over a couple of times during the cooking process.
7) How long they bake for can vary from oven to oven, so keep an eye on the crisp while they bake. If they start to turn brown, remove them from the oven even if they’re not crispy, as they will continue to crisp up once out from the oven.
8) Sprinkle with sweet smoked paprika whilst warm and enjoy!